Home > Tourist Information > Architecture

Architecture

The fabulously wealthy merchants of Edo competed for riches and refinement through “udatsu”.

An udatsu was originally a firewall built at both ends of a roof. During the Edo Period, udatsu were slightly raised embellishments on both ends of a flat-gabled merchant house and were provided as a device to prevent fire. However, udatsu could only be built on full-fledged shops. Therefore, wealthy merchants competed to design udatsu as symbols of their wealth and refinement.
Houses constructed with this type of “udatsu” gradually disappeared over time, and at present, most surviving examples are found in Tokiwa-cho, Aioi-cho, Motozumi-cho and Izumi-cho in Mino. These buildings include structures that have been designated as Nationally-designated Important Cultural Properties.



Udatsu


Udatsu-lined Old Streets (An Area Preserving Traditional Architecture)

Two commercial streets oriented east-to-west intersected by four alleys oriented north-to-south are locally referred to as “me-no-ji streets.” This area, developed by the feudal lord Nagachiku Kanamori during the Edo Period, still retains its historical look and was designated as an “area preserving traditional architecture” on May 31, 1999.



The Former Imai Residence and Mino Archives
(City-designated Cultural Property)

This is the oldest surviving example of a house decorated with udatsu. In addition to the fact that the ridge end tile is small, and that there are no fish decorations under the gable tile, this udatsu includes distinctive double-layer gable tiles on the right and the left that are not seen in other udatsu decorations.


Kosaka Residence
(Nationally-designated Important Cultural Property)

This is a sake brewer's residence that was built during the early An'ei Period (1772-1781) and is characterized by a beautiful design featuring a curved “mukuri” roof shape.


Tatsuzo Matsuhisa Residence Kato Residence Hirata Residence
Yamada Residence Oishi Residence Umemura Residence
Suzuki Residence Nishio Residence Furuta Residence
Matsuhisa Residence Watanabe Residence Muto Residence
Kosaka Residence Furukawa Residence Okasen Inn
Jidaiken    


Temples and Shrines

A Six-Sided Pagoda That Inspires a Sense of Austere Beauty

This pagoda was located in Jizozaka Pass on the old Gujokaido Road to ensure the safety of passing travelers.
The pagoda is a six-sided structure situated in lush green surroundings. Its pillars are round, tripled framed with a cypress bark roof. The dew basin (roban) at the bottom of the finial and the wishing stone at the upper part of the finial are supported from the rear. The pagoda is a precious building of which nothing similar can be found in Gifu Prefecture.

Rokuon Temple Jizo Shrine (Six-Sided Pagoda)


Oyada Shrine Chozo Temple Suhara Shrine


Bridges

This Bright Red Bridge Is the Oldest Existing Suspension Bridge in Japan.

This bright red bridge crosses the Nagara River at the point where the river curves to the west of Mt. Ogura in the northern part of Mino, and is the oldest modern suspension bridge in Japan. When the bridge was constructed, its span was the longest in Japan, so it is a modern structure of great historical value.

Mino Bridge



Lighthouse

Gentle Candle Light Illuminating the Surface of the Nagara River

A harbor was constructed here by Nagachika Kanamori as an entry for transported materials. Stone steps leading to boat moorings and nine-meter-tall river lighthouse along the Nagara River, Sumiyoshi Shrine, where prayers were offered for the safety of the boats, and stone lanterns, which during the Bunka period were presented by associations in Gujo, all bear testimony to the past.

Kozuchi Minato (Kawaminato Lighthouse)



Other Sites


Ruins of Mt. Ogura Castle

Old Uchi School

Chubu Power Nagara River Power Generating Station

The Former Meitetsu Minomachi-Line Mino Station

Ruins of Maruyama Kilns

Tono-oka Mound